A study by WHO states that at least 6.5 percent of the Indian population suffers from some form of the serious mental disorder, with no discernible rural-urban differences making India the most depressed country in the world.
Half of all mental illness begins by the age of 14, but most cases go undetected and untreated. In terms of the burden of the disease among adolescents, depression is the third leading cause.
Yesterday I asked a question on my Instagram story, “What do you do to feel good and happy when life hits a low.” And the responses I got are so very diverse and amazing!
Anyone of us could hit a low in life and it could be due to several reasons. We get tired of trying, we don’t see results in our work, expectations from friends and family, missing on the positives around, being ungrateful and nagging all the time and most importantly we stop trying and get overwhelmed by the sad, depressing emotions and eventually give up. And if all these feelings recur more often, it could even lead to depression. 😦
Many of the responses I received on my post were about exercise, music, reading & shopping. Frankly speaking, on days that I am feeling low, I don’t feel like doing any of this or even taking the effort to get out of my bed and eat. I cancel on my prior appointments, keep sulking and end up feeling more worse than what I begin with. So I decided to curate a list of things that can be done to feel good on days like this. Remember, what works for me or your friends might not work for you. So you should try out stuff from this list yourself till you find your personal solution to the problem (which I am going to do myself ) and keep 3-4 mood lifters up your sleeve, so if one fails you know what to try next! 🙂
- Go for a Drive
- Act the way you want to feel (Fake it, till you make it!)
- Jump, Jump, Jump
- Sing out loud or hear loud music (needless to say happy music 😀 )
- Invest in other people (helping out someone will, in turn, lift your mood)
- Play with your kids/ pets
- Write down or think of 10 things you are grateful for (and think hard when you do this)
- Call/ Meet Friends
- Act Immediately (do something, if you can’t think of anything just go and take a shower)
- Take rest and sleep it off
- Keep the phone away
- Clean around the house
- Netflix/ YouTube/ PrimeVideo (watching anything you like)
- Cook a meal for yourself & EAT
- Light candles, aromatherapy (good scents lift up your mood)
- Indulge in your favorite beverage (tea, coffee, lemon water, wine whatever)
- Exercise (yoga, gym, running, swimming, dancing, skipping whatever)
- Go Shopping (or even online or window shopping might help)
- Read a Book (or Audible it 😉 )
Don’t worry if you feel low, its all part and parcel of life and don’t worry to discuss it with friends and family, sometimes just talking about your mood could lift it up better than anything else. We need to learn and also be able to teach our younger generations that having a sad day or any mental health issue is very normal and can it can be cured easily by giving a little attention. We need to talk more freely about our mood swings and support our peers during their off days. I hope the next time you are low, this list comes in handy and you figure out what works best for you. More importantly that you know you are not alone. Do leave any ideas that you have in comments below that might help anyone looking for ways to get over their bad mood and get back in the Zen Zone!
Keep smiling and trying! 😉