Hello everyone! Last month I read the book “The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin” wherein she realizes that she isn’t really happy and decides to dedicate one whole year to her happiness. She identifies 12 areas that she wants to focus on and then distributes each of them to 12 months of the year. Now each month she focuses on one particular area with all her dedication and moves forward knowing that something is sorted, feeling happier and content by the end of it all.
As some of you might have read in my last blog, “Happy, healthy and consistent 2019” that my motto for the year is to be happy, to focus on my health and to be consistent with everything I do(including blogging :P) and so going by the theme of focusing on one area every month, I have identified 12 Experiments that I would do each month. Now all these are aligned to my mantra and what I want to achieve and these can vary for you depending on what you want to achieve for 2019. So let’s take a look at my 12 experiments.
- January: Drink at least 2 lt. water every day. I don’t have to explain the benefits of drinking sufficient water. Everybody knows it and still not many do it. We are 20 days into January and so far I am going well with this one. I have started drinking 7-8 mugs of water every day and I am hoping by the end of the month it would be 10-12 glasses every day.
- February: Eating more vegetables and fruits. I have never been much of sweet, fast food or packaged food girl. But I also don’t eat mindfully. So this months focus is going to be on adding more veggies and fruits into my everyday diet.
- March: Exercising every day. God save me! I think it would be correct to say that I have never exercised in my life and I can see the repercussions of it now. I have realized that its high time to make exercise part of my everyday routine and big time!
- April: Read every day. This should be one of the most interesting and easy things to do on my list and I hope this gives me motivation enough to go through with the rest of the experiments.
- May: Meditate every day. I have tried doing meditation in the past but I can hardly keep my eyes closed for 2 mins at a stretch and the continuity last for 2-3 days max. So let us see how it goes this time.
- June: Cold shower every day. This is funny cause there was a time when hot showers happened only in the months from October to March. But now its almost about every day that I take a hot shower which isn’t too good for the body hence this experiment.
- July: Quitting Tea 😦 This is going to be one of the hardest things to do in my last. I have been trying to find an alternative for tea but haven’t been able to. Although I have reduced it to 2-3 cups a day as compared to my 5-6 cups, still there is a long way to go.
- August: Quitting Sugar. The only time I have sugar daily is in my tea. With that out the window, this should be easily doable.
- September: Learning something new. Now, this could be anything that sparks joy, that you have been wanting to learn, that could prove beneficial in achieving your goals or just something for plain pleasure.
- October: Getting up every day by 6:00 AM and this one is pretty challenging for me considering my regular morning timing has been between 9 to 10 for years now)
- November: Setting a Morning and Night Routine. Considering my sleep schedule is set in the month before, this should be easy.
- December: Decluttering. I love decluttering and organizing stuff around my house and I believe year end is one of the best times to get rid of the clutter accumulated throughout the year and enter in the new year with only your priced possessions that spark joy!
Now as I have already mentioned, my focus areas are based on what I want to achieve this year. And although I have put them in a certain order, it can definitely vary as I progress through the year. Also, the idea is to continue with the habits formed in January throughout the year and same with the rest. I would also probably squeeze in planting some herbs and making a little kitchen garden, sorting through my finances and understanding it a bit better, and also learning more about environment-friendly/ organic products and how to switch to a more sustainable lifestyle.
If you also decide to go ahead and join the challenge do let me know in the comments below. It would be great to have a group working towards a better lifestyle and share experiences to help each other. Here is hoping to have 12 great habits formed before 2020. Have a good day guys!